How To Ask For A Haircut
When going to the barbers there can often be many questions that come to mind. In particular, what haircut should I get and how to ask for a haircut properly. When asking for a haircut it’s important to take the style of hair you want into account. In order to get the best types of haircuts for men, it’s important that you know the correct terminology.
How to Choose The Right Barber or Men’s Hairdressers
Before you think about how to talk to your barber, you need to make sure you’re going to the best one. There are lots of different factors to take into account when choosing a hairdresser. First and foremost, make sure you go to barbers with a good reputation. Check online reviews or ask others to make sure.
Be sure to keep your budget in mind. Barbers can range in price from under twenty to well over eighty dollars. When it comes to haircuts, you get what you pay for. Nevertheless, you don’t need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get a good trim.
Common Hairdressing Terms
- Taper vs Fade: There isn’t much difference between these terms. A fade is when the hair becomes shorter until it reaches your skin. A taper involves longer hair and doesn’t necessarily have to be cut as short as a fade.
- Undercut Fade: Usually this involves having longer hair on the top of your head, whilst the back and sides are cut extremely short.
- Haircut Grades: Grades are the different lengths that you can get your hair cut too. For instance, a number 3 haircut is shorter than a number 4 haircut.
- Neckline: The neckline is important, make sure the barber shows you how high they’re cutting it and whether it’s flat or natural.
- Texture/Layers: Texture is the look that your hair has depending on thickness, the amount of curl and how it’s cut. A layered texture generally involves cutting certain areas of your hair shorter so longer hair rests on top.
- Thinning: Thinning is useful if you have particularly thick hair. Usually done with a pair of thinning scissors, it is the process of removing weight from your hair to make it more manageable.
Haircut numbers refer to the different lengths you can have your hair cut too. Although this sounds pretty simple, it’s important to know what you’re talking about. Especially when you’re asking for a men’s fade haircut. To get a classic taper haircut, ask for a taper that decreases from about a 5 down to a 1.
Haircut grades go from 1-8 and which one you ask your barber for depends on what length you are after.
- Grade 1: One-eighth of an inch
- Grade 2: One-quarter of an inch
- Grade 3: Three-eighths of an inch
- Grade 4: Half an inch
- Grade 5: Five-eighths of an inch
- Grade 6: Three-quarters of an inch
- Grade 7: Seven-eighths of an inch
- Grade 8: An inch
How To Ask For A Haircut
- Have a style in mind when visiting the barber.
- If you want a fade, know which grade you want.
- Taper and fade are similar, but a fade goes down to the skin.
- Grades refer to the length your hair is cut too.
- Take budget and reputation into account when choosing a hairdresser.
On That Note
When you next visit your barber, be confident in asking for what you want. Whether you’re looking for a classic taper haircut or something completely different, it’s important to know how to ask for it. With the huge variety of styles around it can be confusing trying to know the differences between them. As long as you do a bit of research, you’ll know exactly what you want in no time.
Book Your Appointment Now!